Thursday 11 September 2014

Back to School


Hi Everyone!

I wanted to give a brief intro before the first post is up. This will be a fictional “sister” blog to “Life by Aleah”. It will be written from Sarah’s point of view (Aleah’s BFF and college roomie). There will be some crossover in the story lines since Aleah and Sarah are roommates still. I am planning on having a regular posting schedule on Wednesdays after this and if things go well, I will bump it up to Wednesdays and Fridays. This first one is going to be kind of a long one because I want to get some background information on Sarah into the storyline

Thanks for reading, and feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section! J

Back to School

I woke up to the sound of my phone alarm blaring One Republik’s “Love Runs Out” way too early for what I was used to over the summer but September meant back to classes, back to reality. I needed to make a point of telling Tom (my boss at the restaurant I was serving at) about my school schedule so he doesn’t put me on any closing or late shifts. Without opening my eyes, I patted my hand around my nightstand until I found my phone to silence the alarm. I quickly scanned to see if I had any texts or emails, but with it being 6 am I wasn’t surprised to see the background wallpaper of my family’s German Shepherd staring back at me with no notifications on the screen. 
As I was looking through my closet for something quick to change into before class, I heard Aleah (my roommate and best friend) stir in her bed and hoped that I hadn’t waken her with my alarm, then again, that girl sleeps like a rock. Aleah was never a morning person, so whenever I had early class (which I tended to always have because I liked starting earlier in the day and finishing earlier) I tried to be as quiet as possible just as a courtesy because she always does the same if she comes in and I’m asleep.

As far as college living situations go, I’d say mine is pretty great. In our apartment, Aleah and I share one bedroom, and our other friend Maddie shares a bedroom with a new house mate, Nellie, who was a neighbor to us last year.  Ohhhh, Nellie. It’s not that we disliked her, she was just a bit awkward and I think it would all take adjusting for us to get used to our other friend of the group, Elena, living with her new hubbie instead of us.

I quickly grabbed a pair of black leggings and an oversized U of N track and field hoodie and headed to the bathroom to change. I personally have never understood the girls who are able to look like they are about to walk down the runway of a Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show for an 8 am class. I mean, all the power to them but I would just rather spend that time sleeping an extra half hour or getting a quick workout in before class. Me and the girls like to joke around that those types are just here for their “M.R.S Degree” but I supposed they could just believe in the idea that “if you look better, you feel better”.

After a quick workout and shower, I headed over to the sciences building for my first class – advanced social psychology. I grabbed a seat a few rows back from where the instructor would stand and opened up my MacBook. While waiting for the others and the prof to arrive, I mindlessly scrolled through Pinterest before making my way over to Facebook. I had a little notification in the top right hand corner telling me I had a private message. I clicked on the notification and opened up the message, smiling immediately when I saw who it was from. Katelyn, my bestie from my hometown sent me an old video she had found of us doing a dance to the Spice Girls song “If You Wanna be my Lover”. Classic. I shook my head and laughed to myself as I sent her a quick reply thanking her for brightening my day and reminding me of how lame we were and also reminding her she owes me a trip up here for a visit. I decided to close down Facebook and open up the course outline I had downloaded from our U of N student portal to read along as more and more people filled up the room. Finally, “A.Stark” entered the room and walked up to the front where she began unloading her lecture materials and introduced herself as Andi Stark to the class. She was an older, slightly chubby woman with a warm smile and when she talked, she seemed as though she genuinely cared about the well-being of her students. She went over the structure of the course and mentioned that instead of lectures twice a week, she will lecture on Mondays, and Wednesdays we will have “labs” with one of her three Teaching Assistants. I wasn’t too surprised by that since a lot of psych courses tend to have a lab where you basically just do smaller assignments related to the course – in other words a way to bring your grade up by 10% as long as you show up and complete the assignments.

She then asked the three teaching assistants to come to the front to introduce themselves. Two girls and a guy walked to the front of the room and my jaw almost hit the floor when the guy turned to the class, flashed a smile and introduced himself as Matt. He was easily the hottest guy I had seen in person (Obviously, no one has genes like those Hemsworth brothers). He was tall with dark brown hair, extremely blue eyes and an athletic build. I snapped my mouth shut so it wasn’t totally obvious that I was basically drooling over him as they all started calling out their groups. As much as I thought he was absolutely gorgeous, I did not want to be in his lab group, knowing I wouldn’t be able to get anything done. I also had the tendency to be completely awkward around attractive guys. I cringed slightly when I heard him call “Sarah Parker” as the last lab member for his group. This should be interesting, I thought, and walked over to where the rest of his lab group had gathered. There were 10 of us in total and the rest of the class was spent in our groups with the T.A’s going over the mini assignments we would be doing. Well, I think so anyways. I spent the rest of the time daydreaming what Matt would look like naked. I noticed that it was 9:30 as the other people in my group started packing up their laptops and it was time to go. I was just about to leave when Matt called out “Miss Parker?” Shit, did he ask me something while I was daydreaming of him?!

“Yes? Sorry, I was just thinking of that first assignment we’re going to be working on…” I said, trying to cover my ass.

He let out a little laugh, “I was just wondering if you’re on the track and field team?”

Confused, I replied “Umm, yes I am, how did you know?”

He smiled, showing his beautiful teeth, and just pointed at me. I looked down and forgotten I had worn my U of N track hoodie. Wow, I’m sure he thinks I’m just brilliant. I laughed a little “Oh yes! Sorry, a little out of it, still trying to get back in to the swing of classes” I explained.

“It’s no problem, I was just asking because I’ll be on the team as well. I just transferred from out of state to get this Teaching Assistant job.”

“Oh, I’m sure you will love it, it’s a great group of people!” I said, a little too enthusiastically.

Not wanting to embarrass myself even more, I quickly added “Well, gotta run! I have back to back classes this morning. I, uh, guess I will see you at the first track meet tomorrow…”

He smiled, winked (OMG), and said “Looking forward to it”.

Great, not only would I not be able to concentrate in class with him but on the field as well? This could make for an interesting semester.

11 comments:

  1. Good start. One little criticism. Make sure you proofread, you have sentences that are both in past and present tense. Also a couple run ons. Other than that I think you're of to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading :) And I always appreciate constructive criticism I will be sure to proof read a little better next time

      Delete
  2. Uh oh sounds like trouble. Great first post!! Can't wait to keep reading Sarah's story!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently follow only three chick lit blogs, I am giving this one a shot because its new. I never read the original, but I see good things coming from this. :)


    thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great first post! Not much background though. Looking forward to reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! :) I will be including some more background info in upcoming posts

      Delete
  5. I just finished reading LbA from start to finish and now here I am!! I love Sarah from Aleahs story so looking forward to her story

    ReplyDelete
  6. What day will you be posting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      I will have a new post up today! :) I don't have a set schedule but within the next 2 weeks I should know which specific days I will post. I am trying to arrange it so my posts are about 2 days after Life by Aleah posts just in case there is any cross over

      Delete