Thursday 16 October 2014

Fun night? (Part 1)


***Note: This will be a 2 part post, be sure to check back tomorrow to see what happens in part 2!Thank you again for everyone who's been reading! :)***
 
Even though Katelyn and I had spent the afternoon being pampered at the spa, I couldn’t help but feel tense and filled with anxiety. I wanted to ask her about Josh, but at the same time I didn’t want her thinking I was snooping through her phone (which, for the record I was not – I thought it had been my phone to go off and I just happened to see Josh’s message when I looked at our phones). I was really concerned with what he said and was thinking of maybe sending him a quick message on Facebook when she left, if she still hadn’t talked to me about it.

His message had said “even if things aren’t the same.” What did that mean? Did they break up? If they had, then her reaction was definitely not normal for her, or for any one who had been dating the same person as long as they had.

As I was racking my brain, going through various scenarios, I heard the front door to the apartment open.

“HEEEEEYYY! You girls ready for a night out?!” I heard Maddie shouting from the front hallway. I smiled at how chipper she was and felt a little bit of the anxiety leave. She must have gotten ready at her boyfriend, Gavin’s, because she was all decked out in a little black dress with big curls shaping her face.

Katelyn went running out and gave her a big hug. “OH MY GOD Maddie! I haven’t seen you in over a year! You look amazing! How are you?”

I let them catch up a bit while I went back and tried to decide what to wear. Even though Kate was my bestie from home, she had met all my roomies since I had been going to school here and they all got along well., but that didn’t surprise me since all of the girls were very easy going.  

I considered pulling Maddie aside and talking to her about the text and how she had avoided talking about Josh, but I figured if Katelyn wasn’t even talking to me about it, she wouldn’t want anyone else knowing.

I had texted Matt earlier, letting him know the plan and I was excited to be able to see him tonight. I was hoping it would take off some of the uneasiness I was feeling about Katelyn’s situation.

Since we weren’t going to any clubs and would just be bar hopping, I kept it casual and settled on a pair of white skinny jeans, and a flowy black halter top. I was still sporting a decent tan from summer, so I didn’t wear any concealer or bronzer, and just applied a light coat of mascara, eyeliner, and lip gloss. I looked at myself in my full length mirror and smiled – it’s true what they say that you feel better when you look better! It felt good to get a little dressed up once in a while.

Just as I was slipping on a pair of black booties, I heard Katelyn yell to me from the kitchen, “SAR-BEAR! You ready? The bar is calling our names!”

I walked out of my room and Maddie let out a cat-call type whistle. “Sarah you look smoking!” She said.

I laughed, “Yeah, that’s just cause you’re used to seeing me in sweatpants with my hair sitting on top of my head.”


“Well it is nice to see you in something other than those but I mean it, you look awesome!” She replied happily.

“She’s right Sar! Your new boy toy is gunna have a hard time keeping it in his pants when he sees you!” Katelyn said. The girls must have done a few pre drinking shots because both of them had a slight flush to their cheeks, and about ¼ of the tequila bottle was gone.  

I giggled and shook my head. “Thank you! You ladies don’t look so shabby yourselves! And would you stop calling him that pleeeease! You said no embarrassing me!” I whined at Katelyn.

“Oh I’m just doing it to bug ya, I promise I will be on my best behaviour around Matt” She said, trying to keep a serious face.

We were walking out of the apartment building when my phone buzzed. It was Chloe letting me know she and a few others from the track team were already there and that they grabbed a big table near the bar. Before I could even reply and ask her if Matt was one of the “others” that was there already, a message came in from him:

Leaving in 5, should be there in about 20 minutes!

I replied: Great! We’re just on our way there now, see you soon :)

It took us less than 10 minutes to walk to the bar (another reason I picked Monty’s – no wasting money on cab fare) and when we got there I immediately spotted my friends from the track team – they were the loud boisterous group with 3 pitchers of beer on the table (even though there was only 4 of them there so far – Chloe, Adam, Ryan, and Jeff)

Chloe waved me over with her usual massive smile on her face. She was the only girl at the table, so she was probably relieved to see us come in. It’s not that we didn’t like hanging out with the guys on the track team, but when a couple guys get together and start drinking beer it can be a little difficult to be the only girl.

“Yay!! I’m glad you guys are here! I just ordered a pitcher of Sangria” Chloe said as she greeted us.

I made the introductions and we all started talking pretty easily. Our pitcher of sangria came shortly after and we all (well the girls anyways) poured a glass.

“So who’s all coming?” Adam asked nervously – he was probably the shyest of the guys on the track team, but once you were friends with him he opened up a lot more. He was actually one of the first friends I had made on the team and kind of like a brother to me.

“I think just us! And Matt, he was at the meet the other day, new to the track team” I said, trying to sound casual.

Adam’s face fell a little bit when I said that and I knew exactly why.

I nudged him “You know, if you just told her that you liked her, I’m sure she would notice you more” I said to him.

He had been border line in love with Amy, one of the girls on our track team ever since I first met him, and she was still clueless to the fact. It didn’t help his case that he never talked to her or attempted any sort of communication.

He just shook his head with a small laugh and looked down, almost as if he was embarrassed.

“If it makes you feel any better, I did invite her for you, but she went back home for the weekend, she said it was her mom’s birthday”

Chloe was sitting across from me, facing the door of the bar, when she made eye contact with me and gave a slight nod towards the door. Girl code for “he’s here.”

I didn’t want any of the guys to know there was anything going on with Matt and I so I didn’t hug him or anything when he walked up to the table and just introduced him to Maddie and Katelyn instead.

He said hey to the guys, and they dove into a conversation, drilling Matt with questions but not in a dueche-y way, just trying to get to know him.

I had only had about 3 sips out my drink when I noticed Kate pouring another glass. Was I drinking that slowly?  I thought to myself, but when I looked at Chloe and Maddie’s drinks, they were almost untouched.

Now, I am not the type to judge my friends or be uptight about drinking and having a good time, but I was worried there was something going on with Katelyn and instead of talking to me (or Josh apparently) about it, she was avoiding it and drinking heavily instead.

I was grateful when Jeff ordered 2 appetizer platters for the table when the waitress came by to ask Matt if he wanted a drink or if he was going to take part in the pitcher. He opted for the beer and she brought him back a glass.

Maddie had moved down a bit so Matt sat in next to me and we started talking, but casually since we were in a group.

He was in the middle of telling me about what he did that day when a voice from behind us spoke.

“Matty?”

I didn’t think Matt knew anyone here yet, let alone know someone well enough they had already given him a nickname. When we both turned around to see who was talking, my mouth fell open when I instantly recognized the girl as the raving bitch who had been screaming at the receptionist at the salon.

She obviously recognized me as well because she formed a devious smirk and said, “Well, well, well, looks like you just can’t seem to try and steal anything that’s mine.”

4 comments:

  1. I feel like Matt is a little shady, like how did his step dad already find his car, and now this girl knows him and is a regular around town? He definitely has some explaining to do. Can't wait for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh boy! Can't wait for your post today, so many things going on that I NEED to know about haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol you are too kind!! Means a lot coming from one of my favourite blog authors!

      Delete
  3. Haha thank you!! That made me smile! Lol I know all about distractions during lectures!

    ReplyDelete