Thursday 9 October 2014

Girl time!


The day after my date with Matt I woke up to a text from my best friend from home, Katelyn, saying she had the weekend free and wanted to come up for a visit. I immediately texted her back: “OMG! Yes please come up that’ll be awesome!!” I had 2 shifts at the restaurant this weekend but I knew I could easily get them covered because all the students wanted the weekend shifts to make more tips. After quickly texting a friend from work to see if she wanted the shifts, I got up and showered. I did a morning BodyPump class at the gym (you know, to balance out all the bad food and drinking I knew I would be doing on the weekend with Kate).

 My day went by fast with classes and I was texting Katelyn all day planning our weekend. We decided we would go out the Saturday and stay in and do a Netflix binge that night.

After classes I was back at the apartment cleaning up while I waited for Katelyn to get in. I heard my phone buzz from the counter and saw a text from Matt. “How was your Friday? Is it to soon to ask when I get to see you next? JI smiled when I read it. Even though we just went out the night before he was already looking forward to hanging out again. I hadn’t really decided what I wanted to plan for our date but I knew I wanted to see him as soon as I could. I had spent much of the day daydreaming back to our make out session and felt like a high school girl with her first crush. I replied “My day was good how was yours? Not to soon at all J I haven’t planned our date yet and I have my best friend from home here for the weekend. We’re going out tomorrow night though why don’t you meet up with us?” I knew Katelyn would be stoked, she was always excited to meet any guy I was seeing because it wasn’t often that I was dating someone. She was a social butterfly so I invited some of the other people on the track team and Maddie as well since her boyfriend was gone for the weekend. Matt replied and said that it sounded awesome and to text him when we figured everything out. It would be nice getting Matt out and socializing with some more of the track students since he didn’t know anyone yet.

 
About 20 minutes later Katelyn texted me to say she was downstairs. I flew down the stairs, opened the door and mauled her in a hug. She hugged me tightly and yelled “I missed you Sar-Bear!” She had started calling me that since we had met in elementary school and it had stuck ever since. “Ahh I know I’ve missed my other half!” I squealed back.
 
We walked up the stairs and I told her she could put her stuff down in my room. She came walking back out with a bottle of tequila in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other. Lovely combo Kate I thought. She was always my party friend. Not the sloppy annoying drunk girl, just a big partier and she could actually drink a lot of our guy friends from high school under the table.
 
She had definitely slowed down since starting college, but I guess since we didn’t see eachother much throughout the school year, she wanted to celebrate. “Oh my god you are ridiculous” I said with a laugh as I walked towards the kitchen to get 2 plastic cups. “Go get your sweats on and start thinking about what we should order for food” I ordered her like a mother and jokingly swatted her. She started rummaging through her bag looking for her sweats and I laughed when she came out. She was wearing a pair of sweats that we both bought together in grade 11. They were from Victoria Secret and completely overpriced for regular sweatpants, but we wanted them so bad and both bought a pair. “What?! Don’t laugh I know you still wear yours” She balked at me. “True, but they are my designated camping sweats” I don’t know why, but they were the one article of clothing I had to bring any time I went camping and it seemed to be the only time I wore them. She laughed “Alrighty weirdo, now you go put your comfy pants on and I will handle making the drinks.”

After 2 (strong) margaritas, I decided it was time to order some food otherwise I knew I wouldn’t last and would feel like crap the next day. There’s nothing worse than drinking on an empty stomach. We both figured pizza would be the best choice because when we were kids we used to watch movies and order pizza in one of our parents basements every Friday night and it had kind of become a ritual, only now there was usually cocktails included.

Once we had downed a few slices of pizza I was feeling much less light headed and I started telling her about Matt. I told her everything from the day I met him up to our texting earlier that evening. Her eyes widened in surprise when I told her about his family issues and the night his truck got trashed. I knew what he told me was personal so I didn’t want to go around blabbing it, but as a girl I know that best friends get to know everything, which is why I only told Katelyn and Aleah.

“So, yeah, other than that first night things have gone really well!” I said cheerfully as I took a sip of my now-watered down margarita.  “And you’ll get to meet him tomorrow night! I invited him to meet up with us wherever we go for drinks and also told some of the other track people and Maddie to come!”

“I can’t wait! I’m excited to meet this man who’s stolen the heart of my best friend!” She said to me while getting up and putting the pizza box on the counter.  I rolled my eyes and laughed at her comment. “Easy there, we’ve only been out a few times...” I trailed off while biting my thumb nail.

“Buttttt?” She asked while raising an eyebrow, as if she knew how I wanted to end that sentence.

“Okay yes I already do like him so much!” I buried my face in my hands out of embarrassment.

“Aw my little Sar-Bear is in L-O-V-E!” Katelyn sang as she flopped back down on the couch.

“I am not in love with him! I don’t even know him that well. It’s just that…well I’ve never gotten these intense feelings for a guy before and so fast too. Plus you just assume everyone is in love because your always on cloud 9 with Josh” I said matter-of-factly.

Josh was Katelyn’s boyfriend that she had been dating since grade 10. They were your typical high-school sweeties and they were exactly what I would describe as the perfect couple. Even when we were in high school they never fought and were actually prom King & Queen. Usually it’s some superficial fake girl who gets voted as Queen and some male athlete that gets voted as King. But for our graduating class, everyone had voted for Kate and Josh, mainly because they were an actual couple and probably the cutest one at that.  

She laughed nervously when I said that though.

“How’s everything going with the world’s most perfect couple by the way?” I asked.

She started fidgeting and answered quickly “All good.” She got up from the couch and walked to the kitchen. “One more of my killer margarita’s and we’ll call it a night, okay? I wanna be rested for tomorrow!” Katelyn said overly-chirpily. It seemed like she was avoiding the topic of her and Josh and it wasn’t like her to keep things to herself, but I didn’t want to push so I smiled and nodded.

We watched one more episode of Nip/Tuck before heading off to bed. Aleah was away for the night so I told Kate she could sleep in her bed. It was still itching at me the way she reacted when I brought up Josh but I hated being pushy and figured if she still seemed a little off tomorrow then I would ask her if everything is okay.

 

6 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying this so far. Started with reading LBA and really like your writing style. Wonder what's up with Katelyn and can't wait to see how things go with their night on the town! ;)

    - Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I'm definitely intrigued and can't wait to find out what's going on with Katelyn and Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confused why did get end his text with j, and Sarah referred to him as j?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      It might be the format your reading it on - the J shows as a smiley face but I know that in some emails where there is a smiley face it appears on a J depending on whether I'm reading it on a mobile format or web

      Hope that clears it up!

      - S

      Delete
  4. So where's that bonus post?

    ReplyDelete